The first time I took Ayahuasca....




The first time I took Ayahuasca was in France, with people belonging to the Church of Santo Daime. (At that time, there was no legislation on this plant).


The Church of Santo Daime was born in the Amazon in the 19th century, when Portuguese missionaries were converted to the shamanic practice of drinking Ayuhuasca (the vine of the dead) However, they added very Catholic songs to the rituals.




I met people belonging to this "church" and decided to experiment, even though I didn't really know what to expect. Ayahuasca is a very, very, very bitter beverage.




This is how I found myself dancing - two steps to the right, two steps to the left and again and again - among French and Italian people. Imagine the sound of maracas, guitars, lyrics in Portuguese...



I started to find I was very ridiculous when I started to feel sick. I felt a little bit like when you have ea ten and drunk far too much, and your liver isn't happy at all, but you still hope you won't have to throw up. The room felt like a merry- go -round, the walls weren't as vertical as they should have been, I crouched in a corner..


.


Normally when you eat and drink too much, at some point you vomit and then you feel better. But on that day, vomiting wasn't possible. The room felt more and more shaky, the walls were moving, I felt quite distressed.




Some guys helped me lie down in a corner of the room. One was leaning over me, talking some kind of nonsense: "Be open to the experience... accept something entirely new..." He had short grey hair, a short greyish beard. Hiis presence was better than nothing, but not much more...





I felt as if my life - my "sense of being myself" - was being sucked out of me by the top of my head. I felt I was taken out of my body, strongly, violently. I was extremely scared. At the same time, I noticed that I couldn't feel my feet anymore, I couldn't feel my legs, my hips... I was losing control of my body, trying to hold on like a dying man to life.... I realized that within a few seconds, I wouldn't even be able to cry out for help...




I shouted to the ceiling, atthe top of my lungs. I may not have ever shouted so strongly in my entire life.... or maybe the day I was born....?



"God! God who made me, can I trust? Can I TRUST?"




After some moments of intense panic, something strange happened. I thought of my partner and her little boy - a 10 years old with whom I had a very loving relationship - I had a vision of them in front of my grave and I felt their pain. It made me feel very sad for them. Without knowing it, without knowing how it happened, I had forgotten myself in the middle of the most intense panic. My next words were for them: "I am here to love you..."




The panic had disappeared. I felt extremely good, even though I had no control of my body. The man with the greyish hair and beard was leaning over me. Lying down, I could see his head upside down! He appeared to be as strange and familiar as a Dad might be to a new born who still doesn’t know his face.... The sound of the maracas and the female voices singing were like the presence of a mother a little bit further away... I didn't know how to move my arms and my legs. I was like a baby, feeling safe and cared for...





A little bit later, I felt cold. I asked for a blanket. A guy told me briskly: “You can dance now!" I stood up awkwardly, surprised to be able to... and I got back into the dancing square. Two steps to the right, two steps to the left...




The feeling of ecstasy lasted the entire night. Apart from a subtle and deep deep craving that wasn't healed though......







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The fish on the sink

Antivenom for the soul ()

In the psychiatric ward